Social Democracy, often clipped to SocDem (or SuccDem by ideologies that disagree with it), is an economically centre-left ideology. It is usually culturally left, albeit not exclusively . It advocates for strong welfare programs, unionization, with the addition of vast regulation. It is often confused with Democratic Socialism. Despite often being called a " socialist" by right-wing ideologies, Social Democracy is often excluded from leftist circles as well due to their support for reforming capitalism rather than abolishing it. Social Democracy finds that a lot of welfare programs and business regulations, when achieved through reform rather than revolution, can lead to higher prosperity for the proletariat, rather than systems of unregulated capitalism or socialism.
- 1 History
- 2 Beliefs and Views
- 3 Personality
- 4 How to Draw
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Further Information
- 7 Gallery
Historically, Social Democracy was used interchangeably with Democratic Socialism, and still is by many people, especially in the United Sates. After World War 2, Social Democracy becomes its own identity and promoted a strong welfare state under a capitalist economy. Social Democracies have been established in Europe and other types of the world as follows: India since the establishment of the DPSP, the Republic of France during the 1930's before German Occupation, Australia ever since WWII, Sri Lanka since the early 1940's, the French Republic after the fall of nazi France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland.
Beliefs and Views
Social Democracy is a center-left ideology that believes in a mixed economy with a welfare state funded by progressive taxation. They believe in re-distributing wealth via taxes to make capitalism more humane.
They subscribe to the Liberal interpretation of human rights. That being the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Social Democrats alter the Liberal interpretation of 'human rights' to include equality, justice, and solidarity.
To make it simpler, here are the 3 principles of Social Democracy.
Social Democracy believes in a liberal democratic framework, Liberal democracy is a form of system operating under the civic principles of classical liberalism. But however, Social Democratic economics are somewhat different from classical liberalism.
In order to preserve Liberalism, negative rights and positive rights must be balanced. Positive rights such as right to health and right to an adequate standard of living are respected. Negative rights like freedom of speech and property rights are strengthened.
Social Democracies tend to support a universalist welfare. Instead of only subsidizing private services or giving them to the needy, the provisions are available for everyone. The supported policies are universal childcare, care for the elderly, education, healthcare and workers' compensation.
Mainly connects to Enlightenment ideals of equality under the law and human rights.
Social Democracy is generally portrayed as being quite care-taking of other people, even if they may not like it. They are occasionally mistaken for Democratic Socialism. He usually doesn't like this if he's in Europe, but if he's in America, he'll proudly call himself a democratic socialist. He will get very mad at Left Communism and Marxism–Leninism whenever they call him a "Social Fascist."
How to Draw
Drawing Social Democracy requires a few steps:
- Draw a ball.
- Color the ball with red.
- Draw a white rose on the bottom of the ball.
- Add the eyes, and you're done!
|Red||#FF0000||255, 0, 0|
|White||#FFFFFF||255, 255, 255|
- Nordic Model - I really like your economics, ngl.
- Paternalistic Conservatism - We often fight in elections, but he's still my child (and a worthy opponent!)
- Kemalism - My Turkish nationalistic variant. He's based.
- Keynesianism - We make the government spend... together.
- Left-Wing Populism - We work great during elections, and we both care about the common people.
- Anti-Authoritarianism - Down with Communism! Down with Fascism! Down with Monarchism!
- Progressivism - Generally we go hand in hand, although some of my derivatives would beg to differ.
- Social Liberalism - My beloved friend who is basically me but with more market based solutions.
- Social Capitalism - Same as above but less regulationist.
- Market Socialism- Good friend who likes worker co-ops.
- Democratic Socialism - We're not quite the same but I don't mind your company.
- Social Georgism - I mean, sure, it sounds fair, but what about all the middle class homeowner votes!?
- Welfare Chauvinism - My racist son, on the rise. WHY!
- Left-Wing Nationalism - Sometimes works with me, sometimes against me.
- Social Authoritarianism - You have good ideas, but please, calm down a bit.
- Social Libertarianism - Markets need regulation!
- Syndicalism - I'm pro-union and all, but I'm not a fan of this whole socialism thing.
- Capitalism - Good system. Just needs some more regulation.
- Socialism - I like a lot of your ideas but I don't think your system will work.
- Third Way - I'll still vote for you son, but I wish you would stop trying to compromise with him.
- Marxism - We agree on many of the same issues with capitalism, but I do not necessarily agree with your solutions. Also electoralism is good.
- Bismarckism - He install the first Welfare state and collaborate with me but you do it because he don't want german Socdems victory.
- Mediacracy - More like mediocrity!
- Neoconservatism - At least you're not Paleocon...
- Neoliberalism - Everything I had built up to this point, you just had to destroy it. Fuck you!
Still don't know why we decided to have that kid together..
- Libertarianism - Just because I like Bernie Sanders doesn't mean I'm a communist!
- Luxemburgism - *quietly tightens fiber wire*
- Marxism–Leninism - Keeps calling me the "moderate wing of fascism" despite expanding the state himself.
- Left Communism - Same as above guy! Also you claim to love the working class but all you do is sit on an armchair reading esoteric political literature all day without contributing to society you lazy prick!
- Dengism - You're the "social fascist."
- Anarcho-Capitalism - Healthcare is a human right!
- Fascism - I don't care if we agree on economics. Leave me alone fascist pig!
- Paleoconservatism - You are suspiciously similar to the guy above you know...
For overlapping political theory see:
Regulationism, Democratic Socialism, Third Way , Reformist Marxism, Welfarism Reformism
- A Theory of Justice by John Rawls
- Overproduction and Crises by Johann Karl Rodbertus
- Foundations of Social Democracy by Tombias Gambert
- The Working Man's Programme by Ferdinand Lassalle
- Social Democracy After the Cold War by Bryan Evans and Ingo Schmidt
- Basics on Social Democracy by Thomas Kastning
- SockDem's #1 Economic Fact Sheet™
- What is Social Democracy? (with playlist) by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- Social Democracy vs. Social Liberalism Explained by Liberaven
- Democratic Socialism Vs. Social Democracy by Secular Talk
- r/SocialDemocracy - (mostly a DemSoc sub now)
Memes and Humor
|Welfarists - Welfare Fan Club, Welfarists only!|
|Canon||Bernsteinism • Keynesianism • Democratic Transhumanism • Paternalistic Conservatism • Social Authoritarianism • Social Capitalism • Social Corporatism • Social Democracy • Social Distributism • Social Georgism • Social Liberalism • Social Libertarianism • Third Way • Welfare Chauvinism • Welfarism|
|Regional||Bismarckism • Longism • Nordic Model • One-Nation Conservatism • Ordo-Liberalism • Peronism • Venizelism • Tridemism|